71 things your child needs to know
This article caught my eye – 71 things your child needs to know
I have copied the 71 things and noted what Scarlett can do and what she is learning and what she will learn – great resource to see your child devlop
Personal and Social Development
Approach to learning
- Shows eagerness and curiosity as a learner – my little girl loves the library
- Persists in task and seeks help when encountering a problem – her fav saying is “no Scarlett do it” but she will ask you if she fails!
- Is generally pleasant and cooperative – generally yes!
- Follows rules and routines – likes routine – bath, bottle & bed
- Manages transitions (going from one activity to the next) – tends to go from one to the next to the next
- Demonstrates normal activity level – is always on the go
Interactions with Others
- Interacts easily with one or more children – has loads of cousins so interacts with kids all the time
- Interacts easily with familiar adults – is happy to be with her extended family
- Participates in group activities – is always one of the pack
- Plays well with others – know how to share
- Takes turns and shares – will always share
- Cleans up after play – if mummy helps!
Conflict Resolution – looking forward to this
- Seeks adult help when needed to resolve conflicts
- Uses words to resolve conflicts
Language and Literacy
- Listens with understanding to directions and conversations – amazed about how good she is with this
- Follows one-step directions – being doing this for ages
- Follows two-step directions – started doing this recently
- Speaks clearly enough to be understood without contextual clues – it was just us that understood her but now everyone can
- Relates experiences with some understanding of sequences of events – tells everyone what she has done and in what order
Literature and Reading
- Listens with interest to stories read aloud – loves stories
- Shows interest in reading-related activities – loves the libary
- Retells information from a story – only the bit from night garden where iggle piggle isnt sleeping!
- Sequences three pictures to tell a logical story – not yet!
Writing – she loves to draw but not mastered writing yet
- Uses pictures to communicate ideas
- Uses scribbles, shapes, and letter-like symbols to write words or ideas
Alphabet Knowledge – loves her game with the alphabet
- Recites/sings alphabet
- Matches upper-case letters
- Matches lower-case letters
- Identifies upper-case letters
- Identifies lower-case letters
Patterns and Relationships
- Sorts by color, shape, and size – started doing this!
- Orders or seriates several objects on the basis of one attribute
- Recognizes simple patterns and duplicates them
Number concept and operations
- Rote counts to 20 – 1-7 at the moment
- Counts objects with meaning to 10
- Matches numerals
- Identifies by naming, numerals 0-10
Geometry and spatial relations
- Identifies 4 shapes- circle, square, rectangle, triangle – gets shapes into shape holes and understands circle
- Demonstrates concepts of positional/directional concepts (up/down, over/under, in/out, behind/in front of, beside/between, top/bottom, inside/outside, above/below, high/low, right/left, off/on, first/last, far/near, go/stop) – wow she knows all of these!
- Shows understanding of and uses comparative words (big/little, large/small, short/long, tall/short, slow/fast, few/many, empty/full, less/more. – everything is little or big!
- Pedals and steers a tricycle – her feet cannot touch the pedals but she tries
- Jumps in place, landing on two feet – counts 1,2 and then jumps – where ever she is!
- Jumps consecutively- 7 jumps – not yet
- Balances on one foot for 5 seconds – not yet
- Hops on one foot 2-3 hops – not yet
- Hops on one foot- 6 ft. – not yet
- Throws a ball with direction- 5 ft. – tries
- Catches a thrown ball with arms and body – lets her dad catch!
- Climbs a playground ladder – scarily but yes!
- Skips smoothly for 20 feet
- Stacks 10, one-inch blocks
- Strings 4 1/2″ beads in two minutes
- Completes a seven piece interlocking puzzle
- Makes a pancake, snake, and ball from playdough
- Grasps pencil correctly – started to do this
- Copies: vertical line, horizontal line, circle, cross, square, V, triangle
- Copies first name
- Prints first name without a model
- Grasps scissors correctly
- Cuts within 1/4″ of a 6″ straight line on construction paper
- Cuts out a 3″ square on construction paper
- Cuts out a 3″ triangle on construction paper
- Cuts out a 3″ circle on construction paper
- Uses a glue stick appropriately
- Uses appropriate amount of glue for tasks
- Identifies 10 colors: red, yellow, blue, green, orange, purple, black, white, brown, pink – starting to really learn her colours
- Uses a variety of art materials for tactile experience and exploration
- Participates in group music experiences
- Participates in creative movement/dance – loves to dance
- Makes believe with objects – goes shopping all the time
- Takes on pretend roles and situations – she loves being the mummy
I plan to revisit this list in a year….the changes