Posted by emalouisethompson
Due to major workloads I wasnt able to attend the Third Sector Digital Fundraising Conference.
I decided I would follow what was happening on Twitter. It has taken me since 8am to find the #tag so I can pick up all the conversations – major fail Third Sector.
The #tag is #tsdigifun
Summary of key things from Tweeters at conference:
Every marketing channel needs to use tracking on links – so important!
Save The Children – add tracking URLs, tag your links – enables analyse of your supporter’s journey and pathways.
Connection, cash and capability” – the three C’s (pillars) of Oxfam’s digital strategy.
Amnesty combine campaigning & fundraising asks for great results. Tiananmen Sq campaign: of 12k who signed, 2k donated.
Andrew Barton, Oxfam: don’t only do donor segmentation digitally, or you will miss big chunks.
Consider who your digital audience is. Use qualitative and quantitive measures. Request feedback via social media. Send surveys.
Amnesty: Don’t replicate what you do offline – be bold and brave with your digital fundraising. Innovate.
Like the term “digital Jurassic Park” for charities yet to engage online social media.
Martin Copper from motorola made first mobile call way back in 1973.
The first text message was sent in 1992 (saying ‘Merry Christmas’)
There are 12.8million smartphone users in the UK. 23% of people use their phones to access the Internet.
ChristianAid: test and test again with mobile fundraising… Keep all factors the same, but alternate one (the ask, the media)
Guidelines and training key to getting so many Breast Cancer Care staff involved
BCC measure followers,
@replies, retweets and visitors to websites. And quarterly collect stories from staff who’ve used SM
#breastcancetcare staff on twitter which is fantastic – including all directors & 2 trustees.
Utilise social media in creative ways: run competitions, drive FR message, get celebrity support, corporate donations per RT
Breast Cancer Care’s
#bccsmint hashtag got around 30k tweets – impressive! @theBHF49 invited fashion bloggers to redesign their shop fronts and blog about it. What a great use of social media
Get more “social media champions”, least one per team, to empower staff to represent charity.
Optimise donation process to make it easier for the supporter. Instead of multiple-page donation, Amazon-style 1-click donation?
ActionAid: Everyone hates their inbox. 6 out of 7 receivers won’t even open your email. Grow your email list at every opportunity
ActionAid: With email subject lines, ask yourself if you’d put it as a Facebook status. Urgency also works, as well as questions
Credit to some of the main tweeters:
- 11% of people are left handed, like me!
- August has the highest percentage of births
- Unless food is mixed with saliva you can’t taste it
- The average person falls asleep in 7 minutes
- A bear has 42 teeth
- An ostrich’s eye is bigger than it’s brain
- Most lipsticks contain fish scales
- No two corn flakes look the same
- Lemons contain more sugar than strawberries
- 8% of people have an extra rib
- 85% of plant life is found in the ocean
- Ralph Lauren’s original name was Ralph Lifshitz
- Rabbits like licorice
- The Hawaiian alphabet has 12 letters
- ‘Topolino’ is the name for Mickey Mouse Italy
- A lobsters blood is colorless but when exposed to oxygen it turns blue
- Armadillos have 4 babies at a time and are all the same sex
- Reindeer like bananas
- The longest recorded flight of a chicken was 13 seconds
- Birds need gravity to swallow