My tweets from the last few weeks:
- Apple Is Talking to TV Companies About a Deal That Could Change TV Forever Finance http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/apple-talking-tv-companies-deal-could-change-tv-112438275.html … via @YahooFinance
- Cadbury’s Olympic sponsorship leads to 2.5m social media fans – Marketing news – Marketing magazine http://bit.ly/NwCdPn
- How You’re Using Your iPad [INFOGRAPHIC] http://mashable.com/2012/08/28/ipad-consumer-behaviors-infographic/ … via @mashable
- Entire History of the Internet on One Facebook Timeline http://mashable.com/2012/08/28/history-of-internet-facebook/ … via @mashable
- The digital marketer’s journey – Smart Insights Digital Marketing Advice http://www.smartinsights.com/managing-digital-marketing/planning-budgeting/the-digital-marketers-journey/ … via @smartinsights
- Meet Facebook’s Oldest User http://mashable.com/2012/08/27/facebook-oldest-user/ … via @mashable
- London http://2012.com olympic games digital round up 13 august 2012 on @slideshare http://www.slideshare.net/balf/london-2012com-olympic-games-digital-round-up-13-august-2012 …
- Interesting & insightful article on ‘The innovations of Internet Explorer’ by @slicknet http://www.nczonline.net/blog/2012/08/22/the-innovations-of-internet-explorer/ … #ie #tech #microsoft
- Facebook has ditched HTML5 and ‘gone native’ for new iOS app – @econsultancy ‘s 5 lessons for business: http://bit.ly/PlTjQq
- Copywriter vs. art director: Creatives Caio Pena, Henrique Parada and copywriter Leticia Hanower created a fun(n… http://bit.ly/QNUOqH
- Friends Killed in Maryland Train Wreck Had Tweeted Moments Earlier http://mashable.com/2012/08/22/maryland-train-wreck-tweets/ … via @mashable
- http://Play.com finds real value in its Facebook fans http://sbne.ws/r/bkzn
- “She’s my heart I’m her legs”: Devoted dad carries his daughter, 13, through gruelling triathlons and marathons http://mirr.im/PCzt53
- Purchases via Smartphone Have Highest Average Order Value http://j.mp/OKoswp rt @jeanlucr
- Six reasons why traditional marketing strategies are not delivering online http://wallblog.co.uk/2012/08/22/six-reasons-why-traditional-marketing-strategies-are-not-delivering-online/ … /@thewalluk
- RT @renepower: New evidence that social media supports SEO http://ow.ly/d74bs via @SmartInsights (cf @DanZarrella research)
- Refrigeration specialist Lec celebrates birthday by crowdsourcing new ice cream flavour http://po.st/HsYaph
- 8 Practices and Examples for selling using Pinterest: http://ow.ly/d7dQU Without a Strategy, There is No ROI From @BrianSolis – http://ow.ly/d51JX
- Infographic: 76.9% of marketers use blogs for content marketing http://po.st/tRnnZU by @HubSpot and @SEOmoz
- Consumers who visit a brand site that is mobile-optimised looked at on average 33% more pages than if the site wasn’t http://bit.ly/OJ4XEz
- 4G (finally) comes to the U.K. http://bit.ly/Qlhxds #FastFeed
- Via @nprnews: Search For Parkinson’s Genes Turns To Online Social Networking http://n.pr/R59Dtf
- 52% of marketers say #mobile #marketing creates greater ROI than traditional programmes http://bit.ly/RblGW3
Plus and updte on Google +
Quiet week on Twitter (for me) – here is my weekly Tweets:
Clout – The Art & Science of Influential Web Content http://wp.me/p1JujM-5p
Effective alarm clock needs a passcode to be deactivated. No more endless snoozing. http://su.pr/3D3MGZ
- Use the data you already have to optimise response and improve ROI.” @MatFinchUK #MWLive2012
- RT @Buffalo7Studio: SEO words of wisdom from the Crowd Bait chief. Google+ is the future – http://bit.ly/LiJMcy
- Twitter and YouTube are totally different! Understand the most effective role of a channel and test different messaging. #MWLive2012
- @craftedmedia: Facebook is the only place in the world in which it’s ok to talk to a wall #MWLive2012” totally love this tweet !
- @BrandcastMedia: The golden question: “how do we manage the effectiveness of online marketing?” #MWLive2012” monitor and engage #Kred
- Consolidate your data, map your customer journey, keep measurement simple, look for trends and set benchmarks. @MatFinchUK #MWLive2012
- Social business is what we should be striving for – it goes way beyond implementing a social media strategy. #mwlive2012
- Outstanding research is 2% of brand building, on which the other 98% hangs.’ Elephants Can’t Jump. #MWLive2012
- How do you turn your email recipients into brand advocates? Engage with them & give them a reason to share #MWLive2012
- Spray and pray vs targeted – a combination of both makes a good email strategy #MWLive2012
- Personalisation in an email is a good way to engage recipients – make sure it is relevant #MWLive2012
- Deliver valuable, relevant content and think of yourself as a publisher. Content is king #mwlive2012
- Less than 15% of email is personal 1 to 1 communication #mwlive2012
- E-mail marketing 2.0; domain reputation, trust, segmentation, multi-device compatibility, user engagement #mwlive2012
- Brits spent about an hour a month on #Sports sites http://ow.ly/bSGGX #mwlive2012
- Fan bases can be ever-changing so be prepared to realign your social strategy” – @kathrynhavelock #MWLive2012
- Timing is a critical factor in identifying and fostering longer-term buyers through marketing. Read More http://marketing.pipedream-marketing.com/acton/media/10 … #MWLive2012
- Make it sticky: using data and insight to drive ROI in a multi-channel world – don’t miss our #MWLive2012 seminar at 12h40
- #mwlive2012 1/3 all traffic to The Guardian from a mobile or tablet device, your business the same?
- In one second you can only process 16 pieces of information out of 11 million #mwlive2012 in Insight
- High street MC sales up 10% YOY. Sales via mobile up 359% YOY. Click and collect 8.4% online sales in 2011. IMRG stats #MWLive2012
- Syl Saller – “innovation is about being entrepreneurial, experimenting and having courage of your convictions” #mwlive2012
- Johnnie Walker was in 120 countries before Coke even left US shores – bold innovation and a grand vision #mwlive2012
- Nokia: Great ideas don’t come from stressed employees, so we made changes to encourage our people to have fun #mwlive2012
- RT @beckyreflect: 2.2 billion visits to search engines every single month in the uk – this is why SEO is so important!! #mwlive2012
- Dont focus on process if you want to innovate #mwlive2012
- Barclays: Nothing changes decision-makers’ minds more than watching/hearing words come directly from their consumers’ mouths #mwlive2012
- Don’t make your users work hard to read on their iPhones!!” plan for your emails to fail on mobile and be prepped @skipfidura #MWLive2012
- Original content is still the best way to build your brand – become a thought leader #mwlive2012
- Sky believe its most important to: gather data > analyse data > customise outcomes #mwlive2012 #multichannelstrategy
- @Lexus speaker at #MWLive2012 #FAIL – u need to get ppl’s attention within the first minute not 15!!
- Intention is dead, behaviour is king. Research methods for behavioural economics #mwlive2012
- RT @heidinoemm: How functional and social media integrated is your #newsroom? http://instagr.am/p/MX6oaPlNT8/ #mwlive2012
- The web has replaced visits to dealerships. 94% of car buyers research online. So how did Lexus “create amazing” online? #mwlive2012
- Did you know: 39% of respondents said they use social channels to find discount vouchers? #MWLive2012
- In 2006, for the World Cup, Coke created 6 pieces of content. In 2012, for the Olympics… 60. #mwlive2012
- @MarketingWeekEd: women spend 8 years of their life shopping, says coke’s zoe howarth, re diet coke n fashion #mwlive2012” so true for me!
- Boots #marketing follows 3 stage strategy. 1 Insight. 2 Campaign design/deliver. 3. Systems and suppliers to support activity. #mwlive2012
- Kiosk on mobile communities incentivise their community members to provide content, do you do too? #MWlive2012
I also found the key influencers
This week has been so manic at work and would have really loved to visit some great digital conferences – instead I read the twitter feeds – here are the highlights
Social Media Influence
Best article to date – ROI Skeptic
Brands using multiple social platforms have a 50% higher engagement rate on FB than those only using one #SMI12
90% trust peer recommendations only 14% trust marketing recommendations #SMI12
GiffGaff respond to 90% of queries within 5 minutes and 75% within 1 minute by rewarding customers for helping them with responses.
Future of digital marketing
35% of ASOS’ content is customer service related – they’ve seen significant increase in Google rankings/traffic #FODM
“Don’t be ‘present’, be meaningful” Content needs to provide added value. McLaren’s James Keady on content marketing and creation #FODM
Why do people disengage with Facebook? 42% feel bombarded, 36% find it irrelevant. Content is key. #FODM
#FODM Consumers who interact with the same member of staff 3 times are 10x more likely to buy.
Figaro Digital Social Media Marketing
Provide a reason for ppl to engage, focus on individuals not groups, value for money & incentive sharing says @LivingSocial
67% of users expect to be exposed to exclusive offers as a result of becoming a fan on Facebook. #figaroseminar
84% of users on facebook are active daily #figaroseminar
58% of facebook users have liked a brand #figaroseminar
Reading an interview by NMA with Twitter UK boss Tony Wang, I was interested that he believed Twitter content had to be immediately incredibly interesting or valuable where as on Facebook people can interact & dwell on your brand. Are these two still the most important social networks for brands? What about new things, Pinterest, Tumblr, 4Square, with all these new ones no wonder there is questions about fatigue & spreading yourself too thin.
I was interested to read articles about employees asking for your Facebook password – is this really happening in the USA? It makes me worry that employers that are asking for this really dont understand social media.
Did you know that more men check in on Foursquare and women spend more time on facebook. I think the competitiveness of Foursquare appeals to men and the social aspect of Facebook to women. Read more here. One man didnt really understand facebook or the tool “people you may know” after it caught him out as a bigamist!
I have recently joined storify – not used it yet! I will be getting fatigue as noticed more & more people using Tumblr which I will be looking into! And with Facebook buying Instagram, do I need to start using that on the Android phone??
I finally joined Pinterest and it is addictive. Most people spend 1 hour 17 mins a day on Pinterest, that must be more than Twitter, less than Facebook. Makes me think more & more that it is a tool marketers should be using. Over the next few weeks I will be reviewing how I can use it in my role.
As a network it already has 12 million users, mainly mature female consumers (not sure I like the mature!). I showed it my husband last night and he wasn’t interested – until I said I can start a board for my birthday and put pictures of things I like with comments – he tells me I am very hard to buy for & it looks like Pinterest is going to replace the ripped out magazine pages on the fridge!
That’s great for me personally but how does a business ensure it stays within the legal boundaries? with 3% of all referral traffic online coming from Pinterest we just cannot do it due to these issues – just need to find a way round it. One of the best campaigns I have seen to date is the Peugeot jigsaw puzzle.
This week Twitter celebrated being 6 years old. March 21st the first tweet was sent. Since then it has grown to 140 million active tweeters, 1 billion tweets every 3 days & $139.5m in ad sales. This great article gives you more history on Twitter. There has been some remarkable tweets through out the last six years including many breaking news stories.
I have been on Twitter for 3 years 11 months!